The Samsung Galaxy S3 not only it is one of the most selling Samsung phones but also it’s world’s best selling smartphone. Although, this phone is launched in 2014, May the phone is still having support from developers of the custom ROMs.
Fortunately, there are many custom ROMs for Samsung Galaxy S3 that you can find by checking XDA-Developers site, but only some of them are completely stable and comes without issues. Cyanogenmod Team has released many custom firmwares for Galaxy S3 such as CM12, CM12.1 and this time also CM13.
For people who do not know, CM13 ROM is based on Marshmallow 6.0.x which means that it comes installed with all Android Marshmallow 6.0 features, applications and capabilities. Before starting the guide how to update Samsung Galaxy S3 to Marshmallow 6.0.1 I recommend you to check some Prerequisites from below
- Please use this guide only with the Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 variants.
- Your phone should have root access. You can easily verify if your phone have root access using Root Checker application.
- You need to installed a custom recovery image such as TWRP, CWM or even pHilz.
- Since, we will complete an unofficial operation during the update process you will have to perform a factory reset. All your personal data will be erased so, I highly recommend you to backup your important data.
- Make sure you have installed Samsung drivers or Samsung Kies software on your computer.
- Read the whole guide and don’t attempt to skip any steps.
Required Files for UpdateDownload CM13 Nightly Marshmallow ROM Download Marshmallow Gapps Download Samsung Kies (Drivers) Software
How to Install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on Galaxy S3 with Official Cyanogenmod 13 Nightly
- Download the required files from above and place them somewhere where you can easily find them. I recommend you to save them on desktop.
- Grab your phone and connect it with your personal computer via USB Cable. Transfer both CM13 Nightly Marshmallow ROM and Marshmallow Gapps to your Samsung Galaxy S3 internal storage.
- Then, unplug the phone and power it off.
- Now, Enter it into recovery mode.
- When, you are in recovery mode, you need to make a hard reset. From the TWRP main menu tap on the wipe button and select Advanced Wipe. Then select all Dalvik cache, System, Data and Cache options.
- Then, go back to main menu of the TWRP recovery and tap on the install option. Find the CM13 Nightly Marshmallow firmware and install it. Swipe to the left to confirm the installation process.
- Repeat the last step but this time you need to install Google Marshmallow Gapps.
- In the end, reboot the phone.
Good Job; That’s it how you can update your Samsung Galaxy S3 to Marshmallow 6.0.1 using CM13 Nightly ROM. If you have any questions use the comments field.